Apply Now for 2018 VMDAEC Education Scholarships
Any high school or home school senior graduating in 2018 whose parents or guardians are consumer-members of Community Electric Cooperative and whose primary residence is served by the cooperative is eligible for a $1,000 scholarship. For the online application and instructions, visit www.vmdaec.com or www.co-opliving.com/community/scholarship.htm. The deadline to apply is Friday, February 9, 2018.
Community Electric Cooperative participates in the college scholarship program sponsored by the Virginia, Maryland, & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives (VMDAEC).
Each year, the Education Scholarship Foundation awards $1,000 scholarships.
A combination of weighted criteria is used in the selection process:
- 40% financial need;
- 40% academic achievement;
- 20% personal statement.
Funds can be applied towards tuition, student fees, room and board, or textbooks.
- Primary residence of applicant's parent or legal guardian must receive its power from Community Electric Cooperative.
- Applicants applying for a 2018 scholarship must be a senior graduating from either high school or home school in 2018.
- Applicant must be entering his or her first semester at a post-secondary school in the fall of 2018.
In 2017, VMDAEC’s Scholarship Foundation awarded 58 scholarships as follows:
- 50 applicants received Worth M. Hudson Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each;
- 5 applicants received William M. Alphin Memorial Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each;
- 1 applicant received the C. D Hypes Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,000;
- 1 applicant received the Gertrude Winston Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $1,000;
- 1 applicant received the Paul Owen Scholarship in the amount of $1,000.
Over the past 17 years, the Foundation has awarded 627 scholarships totaling $526,500.
To start the application, click here.
Donations to the Foundation are tax deductible and always welcome! For more information about making a bequest, please read the Estate Planning Brochure.