OBJECTIVE OF POSITION
To perform flagging for crew operations to facilitate the provision of reliable, efficient, and safe service for the public.
- Assist line crew, warehouse personnel, pole yard crew, substation and meter personnel
- Direct traffic or flag around job sites along state highways, county and municipal roadways while crews are performing work
- Meet and work with the public effectively and courteously
NOTE: The above list of tasks is not intended to be all-inclusive, but is a partial list of primary job responsibilities. Employees of the above job classification shall be considered qualified and capable of performing other tasks, which are not listed, but which require the same or a lesser level of physical ability and technical expertise as those listed.
High school graduate or equivalent
Training and Experience:
- First aid card is preferred, but not required
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a safe driving record
- Must wear and utilize personal protective equipment as required
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test prior to being offered the position; may be subject to random testing throughout course of employment
- The job functions will be performed in both indoor and outdoor environments, subject to adverse weather conditions and noise
- Some job functions will be done in areas covered by brush and trees or in trenches and where footing is poor and the ground is uneven
- Job functions on and around mechanized equipment will present the need for alertness and safety awareness
- Job functions may require working in the proximity or energized lines, cable, and equipment
- The work requires the ability to list and carry up to 50 pounds | Materials, equipment, etc. will be lifted to and from trucks, equipment, warehouse shelves, and the ground
- The work requires the ability to see, hear, and smell in order to detect problems and ensure the safety of employees and others in response to exposure to the hazards associated with this position
- The work requires physical strength and agility necessary to perform heavy manual labor
- Work activities involve combinations of walking, kneeling, climbing, pushing, pulling, bending, lifting and carrying, crawling, and standing for extended periods
- Must acquire and maintain the ability to efficiently and safely move trucks to facilitate completion of work with least obstruction to traffic
- Must have the ability to communicate clear and concise verbal instructions and information to employees, supervisors, customers and others
- Must develop a working knowledge of safe work practices, accident prevention procedures, tools and equipment as related to job functions
- Must have ability to work without close supervision and make decisions compatible with prior instructions
- Must have ability to pass flagger test
- Reports to crew leader or other supervisor as assigned.
Salary Range for Position:
- $10 Hour
- Part-time position. Hours fall during the week, Monday through Friday from the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Position Summary and Objectives
The main objective of this position is to learn the linemen’s position in order to safely maintain and construct power lines according to RUS specifications using Cooperative procedures and OSHA regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn the duties and responsibilities of a lineman.
- Learn the power system, feeder and sectionalizing equipment functions, controls and configurations.
- Learn the Community Electric Cooperative safety manual, OSHA and NESC practices
- Learn to read, interpret and work from blueprints, work orders, maps, sketches or prints, as necessary.
- Assist with digging holes, setting poles, framing poles, and trimming trees as necessary for the maintenance and construction of the electric system.
- Climb poles, towers or work from bucket truck to perform all types of general line construction and maintenance work such as stringing wire or installing conductors on poles, hanging transformers, maintain right of way, etc.
- Handle materials and equipment as necessary to perform work on the job site and makes sure truck is stocked.
- Dig trenches by hand or equipment, assemble conduit systems, and make-up pad mount equipment.
- Must live within general service area to be available for outage restoration.
- Participate in other related activities and special projects as may be required or assigned.
Education, Certificates, Licenses, and/or Training
- High school diploma or GED certificate, minimum.
- Must learn safe construction and maintenance of electric distribution lines and substations, including the installation of meters, transformers, voltage regulators, capacitors, sectionalizers, and oil circuit reclosers.
- Must learn RUS construction specifications and the National Electrical Safety Code.
- Must learn safe operation of recloser/sectionalizer and regulator controls.
- Must learn the proper and safe use of the tools and equipment used in line construction and maintenance, both energized and de-energized. Must learn a thorough knowledge of first aid applications, CPR, and rescue procedures.
- Must currently hold a Class “A” commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Must be able to read and understand written directions. Also be able to complete simple written reports.
- Must learn the following skills: pole climbing; using lineman tools while working on a pole; bucket truck operation; gloving techniques; installation of materials, apparatus and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of electric distribution lines, substations, and service to or on member premises.
- Must be able to lift 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs. across uneven terrain.
- Must be able to climb (ascending and descending), using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Must have sense of balance.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- Must be able to reach, handle, work primarily with fingers, and feel.
- Must be able to speak and understand English.
- Must be able to obtain impressions through the eyes of the shape, size, distance, motion, color or other characteristics of objects.
- Must possess acuity, far and near, depth perception, field of vision, accommodation, and color vision.
- Must be able to speak clearly and communicate effectively in order to interact with company employees and members.